Whether you intent to move your business down the street or across the border you need help with planning and scheduling the move. Having some professional assistance
is always a good thing but due to budgetary reasons not all company’s can afford to bring in someone who can assist you with planning your move. Here is basic checklist of the things that you need to keep in mind before making your move and hiring a moving/installing company.
1. It’s best to arrange an after hour or weekend move or installation to limit loss of productivity and time in the office.
2. If the move is to take a few months or weeks it’s best to look for a satellite office so that the employees have a place to work while the move is in progress.
3. Looking into warehouse facilities to store the extra furniture and equipment is a good idea.
4. If you are hiring a mover or installer it would be best to look for someone who can work on contract basis and customize the contract according to your installation needs.
5. A reputable installer will provide you with a plan that should include some of the following:
-Project Management and site surveys
-WSIB and insurance certificate
-Bins and crates to move the content
-IT relocations – includes phone and computers
-Furniture relocation – includes full dismantle and reassembly
-Protection or liability for furniture damage
-Storage for any extra product if required.
-Waste disposal or recycling if required after the job is complete.
6. In order to transport items that need to be relocated crates and bins are supplied a week in advance from the move. It is wise to label and colour code the bins for easy access.
7. If the new location is on the upper level it is advisable to book the elevator in advance so that all the furniture and bins can be carried via elevator to the upper level of the office.
8. Once the move is complete and the employees and equipment is in place the bins are picked up by the moving company.
9. Make sure to get a quote from the moving company for the bins and per day charges prior to the move.
10. If you follow my checklist I guarantee you your next office move will be a breeze.